Smitiuch Injury Law’s very own Peter Cho has been named as the recipient of the Martin Wunder, Q.C. – Outstanding New Lawyer Award for 2016 by the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA).
The Martin Wunder, Q.C. – Outstanding New Lawyer Award is awarded to an OTLA member in recognition of exceptional commitment to and promotion of the advancement of OTLA’s Mission: To fearlessly champion through the pursuit of the highest standards of advocacy the cause of those who have suffered injury or injustice.
The award will be presented to Peter on May 25, 2016.
Smitiuch Injury Law continues to grow and we are currently looking for an Accident Benefits Clerk for our Accident Benefits Department.
- Complete OCF forms per the SABS requirements
- Prepare documentation for FSCO such as Application for Mediation and Application for Arbitration
- Request medical records from hospital and other medical providers
- Schedule client appointments such as medical examinations
- Communicate regularly with insurance adjusters to ensure clients receive the benefits they are entitled to under the SABS and that they are received in a timely manner
- Communicate regularly with clients to provide updates on the status of benefits and answer queries that they may have
The successful candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- Licensed LSUC Paralegal designation
- Law Clerk Diploma or Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario Certificate
- Previous experience in accident benefits and working knowledge of the SABS and FSCO procedures are definite assets
- Experience with Time Matters, PCLaw, Primafact and MS Office are definite assets
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and multiple files in a fast paced environment
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Qualified applicants are invited to apply via email to: [email protected]
Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted.
Smitiuch Injury Law’s Principal, Michael Smitiuch, is quoted by Advocatedaily.com regarding the Government of Ontario’s plan to regulate the tow truck industry.
You can read the article by clicking here.
Michael Smitiuch, Principal Lawyer at Smitiuch Injury Law Professional Corporation, is pleased to announce the opening of our office in London, Ontario. This is in addition to our offices in Toronto and Brantford.
Our London office is located at 380 Wellington Street, Tower B, 6th Floor, London, Ontario N6A 5B5. Our London telephone number is 519-964-2747.
Chris Jackson was elected Chair of the Law Clerks Section of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA) on May 31, 2013, at the association’s Annual General Meeting in Toronto. His term is for the 2013 – 2014 year.
Chris is the Accident Benefits Manager at Smitiuch Injury Law.
He can be reached directly at 416-621-1551 or [email protected]
The Spring 2013 issue of the Smitiuch Injury Law newsletter, disclosure, is now available.
- Have you purchased any of the consumer products that have been involved in a lawsuit or major recall?
- I think you will be surprised at some of the names on the list of famous people with law degrees.
- Did you know the maximum a person can receive for pain and suffering in Canada is $345,584? Read the article on Damages for Pain & Suffering to get all the details.
These are just a few of the interesting articles in this issue.
Smitiuch Injury Law is very pleased to announce that Mr. Luke Hamer has joined the firm as an Associate Lawyer. After articling with the firm for 10 months, Luke was Called to the Bar on January 25, 2013. He obtained his Juris Doctor law degree (J.D.) from Bond University in Queensland, Australia.
Prior to attending law school Luke studied at the University of Toronto where he graduated with an Honours Bachelor of Science, majoring in Anthropology and English.
Luke will be serving clients in the Toronto, Brantford and surrounding communities. His addition to the firm enhances Smitiuch Injury Law’s commitment to providing excellent customer service.
You can contact Luke Hamer at [email protected], or call 416-621-1551, extension 211.
The father of Arthur Ryan, Litigation Coordinator at Smitiuch Injury Law, was awarded with the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal this past Saturday, October 6, 2012, at a ceremony in Brantford, Ontario.
Mr. Brendan Ryan is a retired educator and volunteers on multiple agencies and boards in the riding of Brant.
We extend our fondest best wishes to Mr. Ryan for this special honour!
Smitiuch Injury Law’s Principal, Michael Smitiuch, has been quoted again by the Financial Post in an article regarding misrepresentation on insurance policies.
You can read the Financial Post article by clicking here.
With a big head start in release dates, the iPad clearly has the lead over the Playbook. But does this mean it is the best choice for lawyers and legal firms? Which one will help your law practice? If looking around the office is any indication, the iPad is the winner. By the time the Playbook was released today the technology junkies had already bought their tablet and they are not going to purchase another one until there is a significant reason to do so.
There are so many good applications available for the iPad that will help your practice. Apple’s productivity suite ($), DropBox (free), LogMeIn Ignition ($) and a terrific new app, Moleskine (free).
Given the head start in sales and the countless apps I think the iPad is the best choice.
For more information on using your iPad in your law practice, check out the following blogs: Legal iPad (www.legal-ipad.com), Tablet Legal (www.tabletlegal.com), iPadLawyer (www.ipadlawyer.co.uk), iPad Notebook (www.ipadnotebook.wordpress.com)